FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 26, 2014
Middle Tennessee Volunteers To Be Recognized For Outstanding Community Service
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Hands On Nashville will honor Middle Tennesseans for outstanding volunteer work during the 28th annual Mary Catherine Strobel Volunteer Awards Presented by HCA/TriStar Health.
The annual event, founded by Ford Motor Company, recognizes volunteers who were nominated by the community in six categories for their outstanding contributions to Middle Tennessee. In addition, Hands On Nashville will recognize adult and youth volunteers in a new seventh category. More than 700 volunteers and agency representatives will attend the luncheon and ceremony at the Marriott Cool Springs Conference Center in Franklin on Tuesday, April 22. Tickets to the luncheon are available at www.HON.org.
Civic Volunteer Group Award Presented by U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company
The Civic Volunteer Group Award recognizes representatives of civic, membership, congregation or noncorporate groups that volunteer together for a cause.
- Finalists are: Box 55 Association (serves Nashville Fire Department), Covenant of the Cross (serves Covenant Cupboard) and 180 Room In The Inn Partner Congregations (serve Room In The Inn)
Capacity-building Volunteerism Award Presented by c3/consulting
The Capacity-building Volunteerism Award honors individuals who provide significant operational or administrative support to a nonprofit agency, faith-based ministry or community organization.
- Finalists are: Anna Fitzgerald (serves Youth Empowerment through Arts & Humanities, Inc. – YEAH!), Melissa Shirey (serves Nations Ministry Center) and Raymond White (serves Project C.U.R.E. Nashville)
Corporate Volunteerism Award Presented by Emdeon
The Corporate Volunteerism Award pays tribute to businesses that have robust employee volunteer programs with high levels of participation and impact.
- Finalists are: Aegis Sciences Corporation (serves Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee), Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz – H.E.L.P. Clinic (serves Room In The Inn) and Triumph Aerostructures Nashville Team (serves The Nashville Food Project)
Direct Service Volunteer Award Presented by McNeely Pigott & Fox Public Relations
The Direct Service Volunteer Award recognizes individuals who have participated in hands-on, direct service with an agency’s constituents.
- Finalists are: Barry Coggins (serves FiftyForward), Rev. Felicity Peck (serves CASA, Inc. of Davidson County) and Anne Williams (serves Alive Hospice)
Volunteer Innovator Award Presented by TN Media
The Volunteer Innovator Award honors individuals or groups that have responded creatively to an unmet community need by designing a volunteer program, practice or response or by adding innovation to an existing program or agency.
- Finalists are: Rita Atkins (serves Sew for Hope, a ministry of Thriftsmart), Aaron Grunke (serves Survivor Fitness Foundation) and DeeAnn Hodge (serves Preston Taylor Ministries)
Youth Volunteer Award Presented by Baptist Healing Trust
The Youth Volunteer Award recognizes youth, teens and young adults ages 5 to 22 who serve as an inspiration to others through significant volunteerism.
- Finalists are: Elise Hirt (serves Best Buddies Tennessee), Hannah Huth (serves Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt) and Sara Puryear (serves Friends of Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt)
Hands On Nashville Volunteer Award Presented by Tennessee Valley Authority
The Hands On Nashville Volunteer Award recognizes HON adult and youth volunteers who demonstrate a deep commitment to improving our community.
- Finalists are: Dean Graber, Lauren Levy, Arthur Liu, Alexis Shelton, Julian Turner and Lisa Wagar
The Mary Catherine Strobel Volunteer Awards are a program of Hands On Nashville. Event sponsors include: presenting sponsor, HCA/TriStar Health; founding sponsor, Ford Motor Company; award sponsors, Baptist Healing Trust, c3/consulting, Emdeon, McNeely Pigott & Fox Public Relations, TN Media, Tennessee Valley Authority, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, Volunteer Tennessee and Jive! Digital Print Factory;and table and event sponsors,12th & Broad, Advance Financial,Butler Snow, Cat Financial, Cummins, Deloitte, FirstBank, Fleet Feet Sports, Franklin Marriott Cool Springs, The Dorothy Cate and Thomas F. Frist Foundation, Go To Team, Hands On Nashville board of directors, Jewel Box Platinum, Nashville Predators, NewsChannel 5, Piedmont Natural Gas, Regions, Riff’s Catering, and Seigenthaler Public Relations.
About the Mary Catherine Strobel Volunteer Awards
The Mary Catherine Strobel Volunteer Awards are named in memory of the late Mary Catherine Strobel, known for her extensive and charitable efforts toward improving the lives of Middle Tennessee’s homeless, impoverished and less fortunate populations. The annual awards ceremony celebrates Strobel’s service and recognizes those who continue her legacy.
About Hands On Nashville
Since 1991, Hands On Nashville has been connecting volunteers to critical needs facing the Middle Tennessee community, such as hunger, homelessness and environmental protection. Offering more than 400 volunteer opportunities to the community each month at HON.org, Hands On Nashville challenges everyone to find a way to give back and to … Be the Change. Volunteer.
(615) 298-1108 Ext. 406