In honor of Black History Month we’re excited to spotlight The National Museum of African American Music (NMAAM), which opened in downtown Nashville in September 2020.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to educating, preserving and celebrating more than 50 music genres and styles that were created, influenced and/or inspired by African Americans, including spirituals, blues, jazz, gospel, R&B, and hip hop.
Using artifacts, objects, memorabilia, clothing and state-of-the-art technology, each of the museum galleries is designed to share a different narrative and a unique perspective on African American music and history.
The museum tells the story of how a distinct group of people used their artistry to impact and change the world. We are honored to partner with the museum, and to help meet their needs through volunteerism.
Mission: To educate the world, preserve the legacy, and celebrate the central role African Americans play in creating the American soundtrack.
Hours: The Museum is open 9 am. to 5 p.m. Wednesday-Monday, 9AM-5PM.
- The Museum is closed on Tuesdays.
- Amplify, the Museum’s gift shop, is open 7 days a week, 10AM-5PM.
Tickets: Tours begin daily at 9 a.m. and occur every half hour.
- A few notes about your visit to NMAAM:
- NMAAM uses timed tickets for tours (self-guided).
- Estimated tour time is 90 minutes but guests may take as much time as they like to enjoy the galleries
- When you receive your ticket confirmation, you will be prompted to print your ticket(s) or bring your e-ticket(s) on your phone the day of your visit which we strongly encourage you to do. If you do not bring your printed ticket(s) or e-ticket(s) you will have to come to the NMAAM ticket desk the day of your visit to pick-up your tickets which will delay your ability to begin your tour as scheduled.
Locals can visit free: Through the Nashville Public Library’s Community Passports program, two adults from Davidson County can receive free admission to NMAAM for one visit over a 7-day period. Library card holders can “check out” a passport online, and be placed on the waiting list for when they become available. Learn more here!
Volunteer opportunities: NMAAM offers long-term volunteer opportunities and date and time specific opportunities though the HON website. Click here to see their offerings!
Membership: A NMAAM membership offers special privileges throughout the entire year, including unlimited free admission, access to private exhibitions, discounts at our gift shop and much more! Members can receive customized experiences when viewing exhibitions that bring the American soundtrack to life. We’re devoted to providing members with intimate experiences that will leave them inspired beyond our walls. Additionally, your membership provides vital support for NMAAM’s rich programs, educational opportunities, and community partnerships. View membership options here!